From handling the stag party to ensuring the couple is happy on their wedding day, you have a lot on your plate as the best man. The best man is supposed to be fully immersed in the wedding, whether he realises it or not. So, if you want to be the best “best man” possible, there are a few things you’ll need to remember.
Don’t Feel Obligated
Just because you are asked to be the best man doesn’t mean you have to accept. There are plenty of reasons you may want to decline the offer – such as too many personal obligations or you will not be able to devote time to planning or even attending the wedding. Also, there’s nothing wrong with taking a few days to think about it. Once you have accepted the job, however, be prepared to spend a few hours a week out of your personal time and focus on the wedding.
Duties of the Best “Best Man”
- Create an unforgettable stag party and ensure the groom has the best possible time. Make sure nothing happens to upset the bride, of course, and try to maintain a great relationship with her.
- Help your groom choose the right suit for his wedding day.
- Offer to pay for your suit – and help the groom save a little money.
- Arrange for groomsmen accommodations.
- Help the couple with invitations and table seating charts.
- Be completely available the week of the wedding to both the bride and groom.
- Take behind the scenes photos and share them with the couple after the wedding.
- Create a speech that is thoughtful, funny and really speaks to the couple – do not just focus on the audience.
- Look after the guests and let the couple enjoy their time. The more you handle, the easier it will be for them to relax and enjoy their own wedding.
- Give the couple a gift that is romantic, such as a bottle of wine or a special treat for their honeymoon.
Remember It’s a Once-In-A-Lifetime Opportunity
Being a best man is a one in a lifetime opportunity that a lot of people don’t get to experience. You are the groom’s go-to man and you will be an integral part of the couple’s special day. Embrace that fact, enjoy yourself and work hard to really be the best “best man” you can be.
More from my site
Get our FREE guide on How to Avoid the boring wedding